IT'S EASY TO PLAY
... as easy as 1-2-3!
Just follow the 1-2-3 sequence below to try out the game. 2.7 million characters to date can't be wrong!
WHEEL OF TIME GAME DESIGN
Designing for a game which is balanced, credible and appealing for players is a very different exercise to designing for a game which slavishly follows the creative excesses perpetuated by a fantasy author for dramatic effect. A fantasy novel wouldn't be the same without magic user which can slay vast armies in one fell swoop, but as the game designer your hands are tied by the humans playing characters; nobody wants to play a darkie which is killed with consumate ease. Jordan also has near-invincible warders which can utterly destroy their enemies; great if you're a Warder... but not so great for the other 99% of the players in the game. Yet... you must have sides, conflict and combat to perpetuate plot, so the challenge in any Wheel of Time game is to do it in such a manner that follows the spirit of the books as far as it reasonably can whilst also creating a satisfying playing environment for as many different classes and sides as possible.
game balance, the endless debate
What we're talking about is game balance, the endless debate between the Wheel of Time purists who argue for excessive character attributes and abilities because they're in the books, and the gaming purists to whom balance and gameplay is paramount. They are both right of course. At the Wheel of Time we strive continuously to accomodate both parties and many an hour has been spent kicking around alternatives between the game's immortals to get this as right as is reasonably possible. We involve the players in the process with both the balance board, a forum designed to encourage discussion of the game and how it can be improved, and a beta testing group which tests our programming updates on a test server before they are added to the game. Yet, despite this game balancing act, the Wheel of Time MUD truly is without a rival when it comes to the extent to which we follow the books to make this as accurate an experience as possible.
Every zone which is added to the Wheel of Time MUD is based strictly on the information which is gathered out of the books by the builders of that zone. All the zones in the game are areas that you'd expect to see. True to the books, the oldest Kingdom in the land is the Crown of Andor, which rules the area around Caemlyn, located broadly in the centre of the land. Directly to Caemlyn's north lies the Dragonmount, a mysterious peak just south of Tar Valon, city of the Aes Sedai. To Tar Valon's north lie the vast battle plains of Saldaea, Kandor, Arafel and Shieriar, and the area of Ghealdan. The city of Fal Dara lies here, whose inhabitants are directly in the front line in the battle against the Dark One's forces which come from the nearby Blight, Mountains of Dhoom and Shayol Ghul.
Every zone which is added to the Wheel of Time MUD is based strictly on the information which is gathered out of the books
At the southernmost point of the Mountains of Mist is Amadicia, home of the Children of the Light. Far to the west, on the coastal plain on the other side of the Mountains of Mist, are Bandar Eban, Falme and Tanchico, ports that all lie on the coast of the Arith Ocean, prone to invasion by the Seanchan hordes. The Seanchan race come from a continent far to the west; between this contenient and the mainland lies the Isles of the Seafolk. Stedding Shangtai, Tear, Lugard, Ilian, Ebou Dar and Amador are the main towns in the south of the land. Stedding Shangtai in far to the east, on the south of the Spine of the World, the eastern mountain range. Tear and the Fingers of the Dragon, the name for the delta of the River Erinin, are almost directly south of Caemlyn. Lugard is due south from the midpoint of Four Kings and Whitebridge, two towns that lie west of Caemlyn, and is connected to the latter by the River Manetherendrelle. Ilian, the port on a peninsula which extends into the southern Ocean, the Sea of Storms, lies south of Lugard. Cairhien, leading to the Janghai Pass through the Spine of the World, lies to the east of Caemlyn. The mountains of the Spine of the World are the easternmost boundary of known lands. The Aiel Waste lies in the northeast: harsh, rugged and all but waterless country, travellers are advised that strangers are not welcome.
The resources that we use to make our zones as accurate as possible include Robert Jordan's "Big White Book", the Wheel of Time concordance and the various other resources that can be found via the Wheel of Time Directory.
Clans at the Wheel of Time MUD are somewhat of an unspoken agreement between players and the immortals. In exchange for roleplaying their characters in the way that you'd expect from the books, clans and their members are given equipment, attributes, special features and any other help we can reasonably give them without skewing the game balance in favour of one set of clanned individuals. Each of the clans works in a slightly different manner, primarily dependant on the drive and enthusiasm of the players and Watcher responsible for running the clan. To enter a clan, mail the moderators or immortal named against that clan on the forums homepage, at which point you'll typically be set a series of quests and challenges to prove your worth.
All it takes is one look at the forums homepage to see all the Wheel of Time clans that have been implemented into the game, all of which have features or bonuses done in such a manner as to complement their behaviour in the books. The clans:
- Cairhien Rising Sun
- for the protection of the Sun Throne and the nation of Cairhien.
- Civil Watch
- for the protection of Tanchico.
- Defender of the Stone
- for the defenders of the Stone of Tear, home to Callandor.
- for the walkers of the woods.
- for the entertainers of the Light.
- Illian Companions
- for the elite personal guard of King Mattin Stepaneos den Balgar.
- for those who bring joy through lighting other's skies.
- Legion of Unity
- for the Legion of Unity
- Lion Warden
- for the Lion Warden, guardians of Andor.
- Red Eagles
- for the Red Eagles of Manetheren.
- Sword and Hand
- for the protection of the nation and king of Arad Doman.
- for the thiefbane.
- Wall Guard
- for those who keep the peace of Far Madding.
- Winged Guard
- for the Winged Guard, guardians of the city of Mayene.
- for the Wisdoms of the land.
- Children of the Light
- for the Defenders of all who walk in the Light.
- Hand of the Light
- for the Hand of the Light, those who hunt the Shadow wherever it lies.
- for the guardians of the northern borders, both Fal Dara and Maradon.
- Shienaran Lancer
- for the Shienaran Lancer, guardians of Fal Dara.
- Saldaean Cavalry
- for the Saldaean Cavalry, guardians of Maradon.
- White Tower
- for the clans of the White Tower.
- for the Gaidin of the White Tower of Tar Valon.
- Valon Guard
- keeping the city of Tar Valon free of crime.
- The Chosen
- for the Chosen, forsaken by the light.
- the leaders of the Horde
- the Great Lord's most elite scouts
- the horde's most brutal warriors
- the Great Lord's deadliest assassins.
- paving the way for the Great Lord's generals
- for those that guard the Empire.
- for those who fly the Raken.
- for those who ride the Torm.
The Wheel of Time MUD has always taken a lead in both creating and using Wheel of Time resources available on the web for the good of the game, its accuracy in general and for the good of other Wheel of Time enthusiasts on the web. Some of the resources that we've created over the years include:
- Wheel of Time Codex
- the most accurate item, clothing and object inventory available from the Wheel of Time books
- Wheel of Time Map
- the best non-official Wheel of Time map available
- Wheel of Time Directory
- the definitive directory of Wheel of Time resources available on the web
- Wheel of Time Name Generator
- a Wheel of Time name generator using Robert Jordan's grammar rules
- Wheel of Time taunt Generator
- an entertaining taunt generator using Robert Jordan's phrases
PLEASE HELP THE MUD!
MOST POPULAR PAGES
WHAT THE CRITICS SAY
The Wheel of Time MUD is, in the words of the online reviews: "A very polished product" (MUD connector), "A Must See" (Wheel of Time.org), "The Internet at its Best" (free launch.com).
SUPPORT YOUR MUD
Please visit the wotmud store!
All profit made from this store, which sells wotmud t-shirts etc, goes to support the server, paying for bandwidth and using a better machine to host the MUD.